Monday, January 30, 2012

Kidney Bean, Barley and Sweet Potato Stew

This is a delicious and healthy way to fill your tummy on a wintry evening.  Lots of vitamins and antioxidants, fibre and protein, all with very little fat.  I found this recipe in a book called Hunger Free Forever and I haven't changed any of the ingredients.  But, I did suggest more precise amounts for the onion and sweet potato, and used those numbers in my nutritional information calculations.

This is a great way to use some of the homemade vegetable broth that I posted on Friday.


Kidney Bean, Barley, and Sweet Potato Stew
Makes 2 servings
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 Tbs pearl barley
  • 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 large onion, diced (about 1/2 cup *)
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1-3/4 cups *)
  • 1 small stalk celery, diced
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp dried sage
  1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.  Stir in the barley, reduce the heat, and cover.  Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  2. Add the beans, onion, sweet potato, celery, pepper, salt, thyme and sage, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. 
  3. Stir occasionally and ad broth if the stew dries out.
  4. Divide between 2 serving bowls. 
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 7.
Calories 282; Protein 11g;  Carbohydrate 58g; Fat 1g; Fibe 12g.
Note:
The * amounts are my own suggestions about the ingredient.

Preparing the ingredients before you start cooking makes it all go very smoothly.


Boil the broth and add the barley to it.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.


Add the other ingredients and seasonings to the saucepan.


Mix together, cover and cook another 20 minutes.  I added about 3 Tbs of water during this time so check occasionally to make sure the mixture is not getting dried out or it will burn.  It should be wet but not 'soupy'.


Ladle into 2 bowls.


And enjoy!  It doesn't look like a lot of volume but it is very filling.


2 comments:

  1. Elle you seriously need to import this blog into your other one.....all these recipes are amazing and your other blog is called "EAT, run sail" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! Oh my gosh! I don't like celery so I would omit that and probably use some celery flakes. (Am I weird that I don't like actual celery?) I will have to try this - it does seem like the perfect winter dish. And my own broth?! Can't wait to give that a shot too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.