Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Craving Coconut? Give These Cookies a Try!

At a recent Weight Watchers meeting, the leader gave out samples of  a new coconut and chocolate bar that they are introducing for sale.  It was really good...  and I came away with coconut and chocolate on my mind.

When I came home I started hunting through coconut cookie and bar recipes on the internet and couldn't quite find anything that was quite what I was after. But I did find these Coconut Oatmeal Cookies on a blog called  Everybody Likes Sandwiches With a few changes, it could satisfy my coconut craving.

My plan to add chocolate meant that I needed to lighten it up so I substituted mashed banana for 1/4 cup of the canola oil.  And then I added 1/4 cup of mini dark chocolate chips and left out the 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds from the original recipe.

They got The Captain's approval, and I like them too!  And it is a nice bonus that you only use 1 bowl and don't need your mixer to prepare the batter for them.

Here is how I made them.


Coconut Oatmeal and Chocolate Cookies
Makes 30 cookies
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup mashed banana
  • 1 c brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips 
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F and cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, pour the oil, mashed banana, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat well until smooth.
  3. Add the rolled oats, coconut, and flours in layers without stirring. Add the baking soda, baking powder and chocolate chips, and then stir the whole mixture slowly until evenly mixed.
  4. Using a tablespoon, drop the cookies onto a baking sheet, leaving enough room for them to expand. 
  5. Bake for 11 minutes then remove  to a cooling rack. 
Per serving of 1 cookie.
Weight Watchers P+ =2 .
Calories 78; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 11g; Fat 3g; Fibre 1g.

Beat the wet ingedients together in a medium bowl.


Add the dry ingredients one at a time, then stir till well blended.


Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.


Bake for 11 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack... wait till cool, if you can!



2 comments:

  1. Nice job Elle! and only 2 points! is that per cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love coconut but rarely bake with it myself. I accidentally bought sweetened coconut last time I bought some, I definitely need to head back to the store and get some unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.