Monday, January 16, 2012

A Golden Soup Brightens up a Dreary Day

It is a wintry day in my little corner.... a slight dusting of snow on the ground, a chill in the air, and a bit gloomy.  Surely a pot of hot and tasty golden soup will cheer things up! 

Thick, tasty soup is pure comfort food.  It warms you up all the way to your toes.  And this one is full of vitamins and healthy antioxidants, too.

I still have some of my homemade turkey stock on hand so I used it to make up this batch of Gingery Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup, but you can use bullion cubes or chicken stock if you have some in your cupboard.  This soup is similar to the Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup that I posted in the Fall, but it is spicier because I use freshy grated ginger root... and it is a bit thicker too.  I love it!


Gingery Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
Makes 6 servings, just over 1 cup each
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 or 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
  • 4 cups butternut squash, cut into cubes
  • 1-1/2 cups carrots, sliced
  • 3 cups stock
  • 1 Tbs ginger, peeled and grated or chopped
  • Dashes of salt, pepper, nutmeg
1. Sauté onion and garlic in canola oil till soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Add the butternut squash, carrot, and half of the broth and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Add the rest of broth, ginger, seasonings and simmer 30 minutes longer.
4. Allow to cool a bit and then puree in batches, adjust seasonings if necessary.
5. Garnish with dollop of yogurt or sour cream before serving.

Per serving, not incuding garnish.
Weight Watchers P+ = .
Calories 87; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 17g; Fat 2g; Fibre 3g.

Peel and cut the butternut squash into chunks.


Onions and garlic cook in the canola oil on a low til softened.


Simmer the vegetables in half of the broth.


I like to peel and then grate the fresh ginger.


The immersion blender saves a lot of cleanup.


Be patient!  It may take a couple of minutes.


But oh so worth it!


Divide into 6 servings if you are going to store in the fridge or freeze.


Topped with a bit of fat free plain yogurt... dig in!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I want this right now. Logan actually loves squash so I may be able to get him to eat this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending this one to chef hubby. Plus, I'm seriously considering replacing the immersion blender that broke in an another soup (or perhaps gravy) making endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious - and I love the bright orange color! Many of my soups with orange ingredients turn a lot darker, more brown but this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.