Makes 2 servings
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage or fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced scallions
- 2 Tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 6 large egg whites and 1 egg (or 1-1/4 cups egg substitute)
- 2/3 cup chopped lean turkey, chicken, pork, or cooked shrimp (about 4 oz.)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Coat large non-stick saute pan lightly with cooking spray. Saute cabbage, mushrooms, carrot, scallions, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, or until almost tender but still bright. Transfer vegetables to bowl to cool. Clean pan.
- Beat egg whites and egg in a large bowl. Add turkey, vegetables, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture. Cook 1 minute, or until set around edges.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until eggs are set in middle. Remove from heat, covered, and let stand 2 minutes.
- Fold eggs in half and then cut in half before transferring to 2 plates. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot with reduced-sodium soy sauce if desired.
The N.I. is as I made it, according to the recipe quoted, and as calculated by FitDay.