I made only a slight change from the recipe as I found it and posted it last Spring, leaving out some salt and artificial sweetener as I don't think they are required.
These scones are very versatile and quite portable, too. You can eat them as is, or put some peanut butter or perhaps honey or jam on them... you can break them up in yogurt and top with fruit, or even top them with a slather of Laughing Cow cheese or a slice of cheddar. Eat them cold or reheat them in the mike... it is up to you. If you wrap them in plastic you can easily take them along with you for a snack or for lunch.
The cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices make the kitchen smell wonderful as the scones are baking and cooling. Mmmmmm.
The recipe freezes very well so I often package them in two's and then pop them into the freezer... they only take an hour or so to thaw on the countertop, or a few seconds in the mike.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or other spices to taste the same.. allspice, cloves, nutmeg)
- 1 cup oat bran
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat fat free milk till scalded - about 2 minutes in the microwave oven.
- Add milk to regular oats in large mixing bowl, and let sit for a few minutes to soften oats.
- Spray large pie plate with non-stick spray.
- Add fat free plain yogurt to oats, along with the egg and unsweetened applesauce, and mix well.
- In another bowl mix the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and oat bran.
- Stir the 2 mixtures together and pour into prepared pie plate and put into preheated oven.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes, or until golden on top.
- After removing from oven, let sit for about 15 minutes and then cut into 8 wedges.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 121; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 22g; Fat 3g; Fibre 4g.
Add oats to scalded milk and let sit so the oats can soften.
Add the yogurt, egg, and applesauce.
Stir to mix well.
Stir in the other already-combined dry ingredients.
Pour the batter ino a prepared pie plate.
After baking for 30 minutes, let sit to cool somewhat before cutting.
The wedges are easily removed from the baking pan.
And are generous in size.
With yogurt and berries it makes a hearty afternoon snack or breakfast
With a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese....