Friday, January 13, 2012

A Cookie to Thank to The Captain

The Captain and I started training for our first half marthon last week. He is not really interested in running but accompanies me to support me and my efforts to take part in this upcoming May race. It is often annoying to me that he runs with so much grace and ease while I struggle, but I am so appreciative of his support that I wanted to reward him.  So I baked some cookies for him. 

He always loves cookies with raisins and this recipe I found in a book called Ultimate Foods For Ultimate Health looked like it would fill the bill.

The recipe calls for margarine but I used butter instead.  And I also subbed quick oats for rolled oats as I think they bake up better in a cookie or in cakes.  Do give them a try!  They only cost 3 P+ for 2 cookies and are well worth it.

The Captain gave them 2 thumbs up!  They are not overly sweet and go nicely with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk or even some holiday egg nog if you are still lucky enough to have some in your fridge.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 50 cookies, 25 servings of 2 cookies each
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/4 cups quick or rolled oats
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream the margarine.  Beat in the sugars until fluffy.
  3. Add the egg, water, and vanilla.  Beat until creamy.
  4. Add the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Mix until combined.  Stir in the raisins.
  5. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto the cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.  Cool slightly before removing them from the cookie sheet.  Let them cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.

Per serving of 2 cookies.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 108; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 4g; Fibre 1g.



Note:
The N.I. given is as I made them, and slightly different from the original recipe in the book because of the ingredient changes.

If the butter is soft it will blend more readily with the sugars.


Beat till creamy and light.


Add the egg, water, and vanilla and beat again.


Blend the dry indgredients into the wet, and then add the raisins.


Drop by spoonfuls onto the pepared baking sheet.


After cooked, let cool slightly on baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


Enjoy with afternoon coffee...


Or with big glass of ice-cold milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.