Monday, March 26, 2012

Carrot and Rutabaga Soup - Different and Delicious

This tasty soup was made with my usual vegetable soup method...  the only significant difference is in the veggies I chose today.  I wanted to make carrot soup, but I also had a part of a rutabaga that needed using so I cut that up and added it to the pot.

It turned out really nicely.  There is just enough color change from a carrot soup so you would suspect that there is something else in it, when you first see it.  And the rutabaga just slightly changes the flavor; enhances it really.  It is very subtle so if you think you don't like turnips or rutabagas, don't be put off.  There is not enough of that stronger flavor here to notice. 

Do give it a try.  Use any vegetable oil you like, and veggie broth (or homemade veggie broth) if you want to keep it vegan. I am using my homemade turkey broth here but you could certainly sub a canned chicken broth or a bullion cube and water.

And feel free to change up the spices too.  Normally I add my spices to the pot after the onions and garlic are transluscent, so that they can cook a bit too before adding the other veggies.  But today I wasn't sure what I would use until I tasted the finished soup.  Then I decided on cumin.  But I think ginger and a dash of nutmeg would be nice, or even a mild curry.


Carrot and Rutabaga Soup
Makes 9 servings of 1 cup each
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
  • 4 ounces onion, chopped
  • 7 ouncs rutabaga, roughly cut in chunks
  • 16 ounces carrots, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
  • 4 cups turkey broth
  • salt, pepper, cumin to taste
  1. Gently heat the canola in a large saucepan.
  2. Add the garlic and onions and cook till translucent, about 10 minutes.  Add cumin and let cook about 1 more minute.
  3. Add the chunks of rutabaga and carrot and saute for a few minutes.
  4. Add the broth, cover, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and let cool enough so that you can whiz with your immersion blender, or blend in batches if you prefer.  Puree till there are no chunks left.
  6. Serve hot, seasoned with salt and pepper.  Add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
Per serving, without topping.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 47;  Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 9g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g.

Add the carrots and rutabaga to the pot after the onions and garlic are cooked.


Saute for a few minutes before adding broth.


After the soup is cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool a bit...


then puree still smooth with blender or immersion blender.


Reheat to serve.


Season with salt and pepper....


and add yogurt or sour cream if you like it.

2 comments:

  1. i have never, ever used rutabaga before! you're inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks mmmm mmm delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.