Friday, March 30, 2012

Delicious Spicy Cranberry Sauce - 2 Ways

When fresh cranberries appear in our local markets in the Fall, I like to pick up a few bags and toss them into the freezer (when we have one!).  I seldom see frozen cranberries in our grocery stores and sometimes fresh are just not available when I want to have them.

This sauce takes only about 20 minutes to prepare and it is just delicious.  You can certainly adjust the spices to suit your own tastes.  The basic recipe is on the Ocean Spray cranberry bag, but I have added spices and orange zest to give it some additional flavor.

I like to make a sugar free sauce so I am offering you a recipe with sugar and one without, using Splenda.


The Simplest Cranberry Sauce
Makes about 2-1/2 cups
  • 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 to 2 tsps orange zest
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  1. Rinse the cranberries in cool water, discarding stems and any blemished berries.
  2. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
  3. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
  4. Add the cranberries and simmer.  Stir occasionally until the cranberries pop and the sauce begins to thicken a bit.  This may take about 10 minutes
  5. Remove from heat, stir in the zest and spices.
  6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per 1/4 cup serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 94; Protein 0g; Carbohydrate 24g; Fat 0g; Fibre 1g.

For the sugar-free version, 1 substitute  8 packets of Splenda for the white sugar.  This makes a lovely tart sauce and the WW P+ = 0.  Nice bonus.

Rinse berries and discard and with blemishes.


Prepare orange zest.


Add berries to pot of boiling water and sugar.


Remove from heat after berries have popped and sauce has thickened a bit.


Sauce will set and thicken as it cools in fridge.

Printable Recipe

2 comments:

  1. That's almost exactly the recipe I use for cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. It's a huge hit. Mine doesn't call for ginger or nutmeg and I use whole spices and then they're removed before serving. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also freeze some cranberries when they appear in the stores, but I've found them frozen in my store, too. I make basic cranberry sauce throughout the year. It's what we use on bagels, toast, or PB&J's instead of jams or jellies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.