Friday, December 09, 2011

Adding Protein Powder to My Oats

I do love hot, cooked cereal for breakfast on a cold and frosty morning.  And I am always trying to come up with add-ins or toppings that will help it stick to my ribs till lunchtime.

In the past I have used egg white stirred into the cooked oats and I have topped them with a variety of nut butters, and yogurts.  Today I came up with something I hadn't tried before, and it turned out very well.

I added a scoop of vanilla protein powder into our cooked oats... I happen to have a soy protein powder on hand, but whey or any kind you have would be fine.  The powder did absorb some of the moisture so the mixture became very thick, and the vanilla was a nice flavor addition. 

My powder has 3 WW P+ per scoop.

If you use a plain protein powder, stir in a spoonful of vanilla extract, too.

If you are making them just for yourself, halve the ingredients.


Protein Packed Oats with Raisins
Makes 2 servings
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 2 Tbs raisins
  • yogurt or milk for topping
  • Dash of cinnamon
  1. Put the water and oats in a small saucepan and set over HIGH heat and cover.
  2. When the water boils, turn the heat to LOW and simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes.
  3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let rest on a cool burner for 5 minutes.
  4. Stir the protein powder, raisins and vanilla (if using) into the oats.
  5. Divide the mixture between 2 serving bowls.
  6. Top with yogurt or milk and a dash of cinnamon.

Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 167; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 30g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g.

Stir the protein powder and raisins into the cooked oats.



Now I am wondering if I should try the chocolate protein powder...

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely go with some chocolate! I was envisioning it as I was reading this. So delicious and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.