Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Ongoing Search For the Perfect Protein Pancake

In my quest to get  more protein into my daily eating plan, I have been experimenting with protein pancakes.  This one is based on a recipe recommend to me by Christina who writes The Athletarian, from Tone It Up.  I doubled the ingredients and used less milk.

Right now I have soy protein powder on hand, and it does have some carbs in it... the next one I purchase will be whey and have no carbs.

So, if you do use this recipe, the N.I. will certainly depend on the protein powder you use.  Genisoy, which I am using here, has 3P+ per scoop.  I think it would be very nice with a handful of frozen berries tossed into the batter.  It is not fluffy like flour/baking powder cakes are, but certainly worthwhile and I will be making these again.

The Pancake King even approved!



Flourless Soy Protein Pancakes
Makes 2 servings
  • 2 scoops protein powder, mine is vanilla flavored
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 2 Tbs Almond Breeze or milk, unsweetened
  • 2 Tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 small banana
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the protein powder, egg whites, Almond Breeze, flax seeds and cinnamon.
  2. Mash the banana in a separate, small bowl, then mix into the other ingredients. Stir until well combined.  The mixture should not be too thick... add a tsp or 2 of water if it is. 
  3. Coat a saucepan with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat.  Pour half of the mixture into the warm pan and spread till it is a circle about 6 - 7 inches in diameter. 
  4. Let cook several minutes.  You will see a bit of bubbling from underneath and the batter should lose its shine as it cooks.  Leave till most the shine is gone and then gently flip over.  Cook a couple of minutes more.
  5. Remove pancake to a plate and cover to keep warm
  6. Cook the second pancake in the same manner.
  7. Top with fruit of your choice or syrup.

Per serving, not including toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 249; Protein 23g; Carbohydrate 33g; Fat 3g; Fibre 3g.

Note:
If  you choose not to include the small banana in this calculation, the P+ = 5.

Mix the first 5 ingredients together.


Mash the banana separately, then add to the other ingredients.


Cook half the batter at a time over MEDIUM heat.


When the first side is mostly cooked, flip and cook the second side.  If you don't let the first side cook long enough, it will be hard to flip neatly.


The second pancake always looks better than the first.  Why is that?


We like pancakes with an egg and a bit of syrup.  Sugar-free for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.