The taste, however, not so much. But when I ran across this idea for grilling them, I decided to give it a try. And I am so glad I did. It was delicious, the texture was creamy and smooth, and I will definitely be making this again.... besides, The Captain does the grilling so all I had to do was the prep!
I didn't use the chili pepper that the author suggests so left it out of my rendition of the recipe... and I altered the proportions of the ingredients as well. I am favoring a white balsamic vinegar these days which has a slightly milder flavor than any dark you may use.
Do give this recipe a try next time you are firing up your grill.
Honey Garlic Grilled Eggplant
Makes 2 servings
- 1 eggplant, about 1-1/4 pounds
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Wash the eggplant and cut off the ends. With a vegetable peeler, remove stripes of skin from the eggplant, lengthwise, to create alternating stripes of skin and no-skin. This is not only decorative, but makes the skin easier to bite. Slice eggplant crosswise into ½ inch thick circles.
- Lay out a large sheet of paper towels. Sprinkle eggplant generously with salt on both sides and lay out on paper towels. The eggplant will release a lot of liquid. This will help get rid of bitterness (if any) and make the eggplant more succulent and less watery after it’s cooked. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes, then dry both sides well with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, wide enough to hold the largest eggplant slice, mix honey, olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and pepper to taste.
- Coat the grill with a non-stick spray and preheat it to HIGH.
- Dip one side of each slice of eggplant into the mixture in the bowl and place the eggplant slices on the grill, cover, and turn down the heat to MEDIUM. Grill until marked, about 3 minutes. Rotate each slice 90 degrees to make cross-hatch grill marks. Grill until marked, about 3 more minutes.
- Brush or spoon the remaining marinade on the eggplant slices, then flip them over and repeat the grilling procedure on the other side. Regulate heat so that the eggplant is browning, but not burning.
- Remove from heat and serve while still warm.
If you have leftovers, heat them in the mike and add them to a lunch sandwich.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 166; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 21g; Fat 9g; Fibre 6g.
Start with a lovely, firm eggplant.
Make stripes with a vegetable peeler.
Salt both sides liberally and then lay on paper towel.
Mix the marinade ingredients in a wide mouth bowl.
Dip one side of each slice in the marinade and then place on the preheated grill.
Flip over to cook second side.
Ready to serve.
Part of a lovely dinner.