This is a portable bar, packed with flavor and chew... satisfying and nutritious. It makes a great after-workout snack and is easily packed along on a walk, a bike ride or a hike... or tuck it away in your desk drawer at the office for an energy boost during that mid-afternoon slump.
These bars can be stored in the fridge for several days or the freezer for weeks... of course they won't last that long!
Healthy Power Bars
Makes 30 servings
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 2 tsps vanilla
- 2-1/2 Tbs ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped - approximately 12 apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes, finely chopped - approximately 8 prunes
- 1/4 cup dried lightly sweetened cranberries
- 3 Tbs raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbs raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dashes of ginger, nutmeg, cloves
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- Preaheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix the dry ingredients toether in a large bowl.
- Mix the vanilla, applesauce and honey together in a small bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. The ingredients should start to stick together in clumps.
- Place the mixture into a 9 X 13 inch baking dish that has been coated with non-stick spray. Press batter into pan till level and compact.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into 30 bars.
Weight Watcher P+ = 2.
Calories 86; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 2g; Fibre 2g.
Make sure to chop the apricots into small pieces.
Place all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.
Combine the applesauce, honey, and vanilla in a small, separate bowl.
Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well.. may take a few minutes to completely combine all ingredients.
Place in a baking dish with edges.
Pat to flatten and compress.
Make sure to cool completely before cutting into bars.