But, when one of my Weight Watchers friends recently shared her recipe for bran muffins with cranberries, it looked so good to me, I knew I had to try it. I did make a couple of changes to skinny it up even more, using mashed banana in place of the canola oil and applesauce mixture suggested. They are a heavy muffin but so tasty and definitely worth the few extra steps in putting them together.
If you are looking for a light, fluffy muffin, this is not the recipe for you, but if you want something you can sink your teeth into, give it a try. You could easily add different dried fruits, nuts or seeds to the batter.
I made only 6 muffins the first time I mixed these up, just to test my changes, but you can easily double these ingredients to make a dozen.
Skinny Cranberry Cinnamon Bran Muffins
Makes 6 muffins
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup bran cereal (All Bran, Fibre One, Fibre First)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup mashed banana
- 5 packets Splenda
- 1 egg white
- 3/8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In medium bowl, combine wheat bran, cereal and salt. Pour boiling water over and stir to combine. Stir in milk and cranberries and set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together Splenda egg white, and mashed banana. Stir into bran mixture.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Pour bran mixture over flour mixture in large bowl, and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among 6 silicone cups, or 6 lined or greased muffin cups.
- Bake in 375° F oven for about 20 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 102; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 24g; Fat 1g; Fibre 5g.
Pour boiling water over wheat bran, cereal, and salt. Then mix.
Combine mashed banana with Splenda and egg white.
Mix whole wheat flour with oat bran, baking soda and cinnamon.
Stir till dry ingredients are just moistened.
Fresh out of the oven.
Waiting ... waiting...
Finally cool enough to enjoy. Mmmm.
And for a different twist, break one up in a bowl with yogurt and fruit.