I used dried cranberries, but you could substitute any dried fruit you like.... raisins, cherries, blueberries, or even a combination of several.
You can use non-dairy milks if you prefer. And although I chose almond butter, you could try cashew butter or peanut butter.
If you want to lighten it up, use Splenda in place of the brown sugar, and a reduced calorie peanut butter.
It is both delicious and very filling. Of course the recipe can be halved or even quartered, very easily.
Fruity Nut Butter Oatmeal
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan. Add oats and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the milk and dried fruit. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar and nut butter.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir and divide into 4 bowls to serve.
Per serving, using brown sugar.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 288; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 45g; Fat 10g; Fibre 5g.
Per serving, using Splenda.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 219; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate28g; Fat 10g; Fibre 5g.
Stirring in the nut butter...
results in caramel colored oats.