It is a lovely color and very tasty. If you want to reduce the calorie count even more, use Splenda or Stevia in place of the honey. The taste will be slightly different, but still delicious. You could also used mashed orange sweet potatoes in place of the pumpkin. You know... the Louisiana kind we Canadians like to call yams.
Pumpkin butter makes a great spread on crackers or toast. It can be swirled into softened cream cheese for a nice party dip, or even used as a topping on yogurt or ice cream. Mmm. You can even make soup with it if you mix it with cream or milk.
Makes 1-1/2 cups
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg)
- Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave a small opening to vent.
- Microwave about 5 minutes, until mixture is thick. Let cool to room temperature and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 22, Protein 0g, Carbohydrate 6g, Fat 0g, Fibre 1g.
It's just as good right from the spoon!