Thursday, April 14, 2011

Power Packed Farro Salad

I love grain based salads.  Add some veggies, some protein,  a tasty dressing, and you have a hearty, power packed meal.   They are portable, filling, and pretty.

You can use any combination of veggies you like... tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, snow peas, cooked leftover sweet potatoes, mushrooms... and you can used canned sardines or tuna, baked chicken breasts, or an style of beans.  You could even use a combination of fruits and berries, and nuts.

Today I cooked 1/4 cup of farro and left it cool on the counter.  At noon, I started rumaging around in the refrigerator for vegetables to add, and also opened a can of beans... today it was a 6-bean blend that I really like. 



Farro and Bean Salad
Makes 2 servings

  • 1/4 cup raw farro, cooked and cooled
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 1/2 small cucumber, chopped
  • 1 cup spinach leaved, roughly chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
  • 1/2 cup canned beans, rinsed and drained
  1. Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
When I put it all together, I realized it was enough for 2 servings, so I put half of it into a storage container and popped it into the fridge... then I made a dressing for the half I was about to devour for lunch.

Per serving, before dressing was added.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 172; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 34g; Fat 1g; Fibre 7g.

I sort of made the dressing up as I went along and it was delicious.  Very garlicky and it would be good over any hearty salad.

Garlic and Cilantro Dressing
Makes 1 serving

  • 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • dash of salt
  • 1 Tbs cilantro, roughly chopped

Mix all the ingredients and pour over the salad and stir to blend in.

Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 43; Protein 0g; Carbohydrate 1g; Fat 5g; Fibre 0g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.