I made up this recipe a few years ago when I was following the Weight Watchers 'Core' program and it tastes much like that beloved Johnnycake, only it is much lower in calories and can be made with no added fats.
If you haven't had your healthy oil servings, go ahead and add the oil, but it is really not necessary if you prefer to leave it out. And, you can also cut it into 6 pieces rather than 4 if that suits you better. I have mine with sugar free syrup and an egg.... and if we have some ham, too, so much the better!
Today it was breakfast.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs canola oil (optional)
- Preaheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 8 or 9 inch square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the cornmeal with the baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the milk, egg, applesauce and oil, if using.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until bread pulls away from the edges of the pan.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Per serving/recipe using oil.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 204; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 32g; Fat 5g; Fibre 3g
Per serving/recipe without oil.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 174; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 32g; Fat 2g; Fibre 3g
I keep the leftover cake in the fridge and then reheat it in the microwave oven. It can also be frozen.
Just out of the oven
A piece that is 1/4th the whole
With pancake syrup
And with ham and an egg