Normally The Pancake King makes our Saturday morning breakfast cakes, but I asked him if we could try this special recipe today, instead. I picked up some lovely fresh strawberries at the market yesterday and knew that there was light Cool Whip lurking in the freezer. I don't always have the ingredients for some of the more intriguing Hungry Girl recipes, so when I do, I love to try them out.
I did make a couple of changes... I used egg whites instead of the egg subtitute she calls for. And, I used cow's milk instead of opening a new box of soymilk... my strawberry jam is not sugar free so I used sugar free marmalade instead. I didn't want to spend the calories on regular jam.
And, last but not least, I doubled it all to make 2 servings. Here is how I assembled it.
Strawberry Short Stack
Makes 2 servings
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbs old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets Splenda
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 Tbs fat free milk
- 2 Tbs sugar-free preserves
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup light Cool Whip Free, thawed
- Optional: Fat Free Reddi-wip, sugar-free pancake syrup
- To make the batter, combine flour, oats, baking powder, sweetener, and salt in a bowl. Add egg whites, milk, and 4 Tbs water. Mix well and set aside.
- Place preserves in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke for 20 seconds, until softened and warm. Stir into pancake batter until thoroughly integrated.
- Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add one quarter of the batter (approx 1/3 cup) to form a large pancake. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until pancake begins to bubble and is solid enough to flip. Gently flip and cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes, until both sides are lightly browned and inside is cooked through. Keep warm till you have made all 4 pancakes.
- Remove skillet from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Repeat with remaining batter to make 3 more pancakes.
- While pancakes cool slightly, combine strawberries with Cool Whip in a bowl and lightly stir. Spoon half this mixture evenly over one pancake, and then place a second pancake lightly on top. This makes one serving.
- Make up a second serving in the same manner.
- If you like, add more Cool Whip and a drizzle of pancake syrup.
Per serving. Not including additional Cool Whip and/or pancake syrup.
Weight Watchers P+ = 7.
Calories 286; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 52g; Fat 4g; Fibre 6g
I really liked these pancakes. They are chewy and thick and quite hearty. I would definitely recommend that you put some syrup on them.... mine is sugar free so doesn't significantly add to the calorie count.
The batter is quite sweet itself, so if you could easily leave out the sugar free preserves and even the Splenda, if you like.
Great fuel for our morning run!