The P+ values shown are for the ingredients I have used... it will vary depending on the bread, cheese, and milk used. But the idea is so lovely. It is rich and delicious and makes a pretty plate. This is sure to become a weekend morning favorite, as long as fresh strawberries are available.
'Frenched' Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Makes 2 servings
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- dash of cinnamon
- 8 medium strawberries
- Break the egg into a bowl that is wide enough to lay your bread slices in. Add the milk and cinnamon and whisk till frothy. Set aside.
- Divide the cheese wedge in half. Spread each half over a slice of the bread. You will have 2 slices that are covered with cheese, and 2 that are left plain.
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries.
- Spray a saute pan with non-stick spray and set over medium heat.
- Take a slice of the bread that is covered with cheese and lay the opposite side into the egg mixture to absorb a bit of it into the bread. Place the slice, egg-side down in the saute pan, and then cover the cheese with strawberry slices.
- Lay one side of a plain slice of bread into the egg mixture to coat and then cover the bread in the pan, egg side up.
- Let the sandwich cook a couple of minutes until browned, then carefully flip over and brown the second side.
- When it is done, set in a container to keep warm. Repeat with the second sandwich.
- When both are cooked, plate and drizzle your favorite syrup or a bit of honey over the top.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 213; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 30g; Fat 6g; Fibre 5g.
Any kind of milk or non-dairy milk will work in this recipe.
Substitute 2 egg whites for the egg.
If using soft cream cheese, about 1 Tbs should be enough.
Waiting to be covered with the plain, egg-dipped slice of bread.
After flipping in the pan.
Pretty and delicious.