Monday, November 21, 2011

A New Twist on French Toast

I really like French toast and am constantly trying new recipes for it.  Today my mouth was watering for some at breakfast time but I didn't have any milk in the fridge and I didn't feel like rooting around in a food locker for a tetra pak of Almond Breeze.

I did, however, have vanilla yogurt in the fridge so I decided to experiment wiht it, using it in place of the milk that I would normally mix with an egg to make the mixture that I dip slices of bread into to make French toast.  It worked very well and I will be doing more experimenting with other kinds of yogurt in the future, especially fat free because that is what I normally use.


French Toast with a Twist
Makes 2 servings
  • 4 slices whole grain bread of your choosing
  • 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 whole fresh egg
  • dash of cinnamon
  1. Mix together the yogurt, egg, and a dash of cinnamon in a bowl that is wide enough to lay a bread slice into, flat.
  2. Lightly coat a frying pan with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM-HIGH heat.
  3. Lay a slice of bread on the yogurt/egg mixture and then flip it over and coat the second side.
  4. Place in the pan on the stove and cook a couple of minutes till golden, flip and cook second side.
  5. Remove the cooked bread to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
  6. Coat and cook the rest of the bread in the same manner. You may need to spray pan again with non-stick spray between slices.   Make sure to do this away from the hot stove.
  7. Place 2 slices of French Toast on each plate and sprinkle them with a bit more cinnamon.
  8. Serve with your favorite syrup or with fruit preserves.

Per serving, not including syrup or preserves.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 240; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 38g; Fat 5g; Fibre 1g.

Note:
The nutritional information and number of Points Plus will varying depending on the bread and yogurt you select.





1 comment:

  1. oh now this sounds really good, i would have never thought to use yogurt!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.