The foods I choose to precook are things that normally give off lots of steam themselves or require boiling water... pasta, rice, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, quinoa, farro... and the like.
Yesterday I baked a few potatoes and cooked some rice.
So, for dinner tonight, I decided to use some of the rice and put together cold, but hearty, dinner salads. I went with a Mediterranean theme and they turned out very nicely. A filling and delicious dinner, put together in vary little time.
The ingredients can easily be halved if you are dining alone. Or if you wanted to make this for lunch, you could just use less rice. One cup would probably be plenty and would reduce the Points Plus value by 2.
Rainy Day Rice Salad
Makes 2 servings
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 can, approximately 4 ounces, albacore tuna, drained
- 2 inches of a long English cucumber, slivered
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Tbs sliced black olives
- 2 Tbs slivered white onion
- 2 Tbs lite shredded parmesan cheese
- Dashes of oregano, salt and pepper
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 3 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Set out 2 serving bowls and put half of the rice into each bowl.
- Add half of the tuna, cucumber slivers, tomato quarters, olives and onion to each bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and then put half on each salad.
- Stir each salad, then garnish with 1 Tbs of the parmesan shreds, a bit of oregano and salt and pepper.
Weight Watchers P+ = 11.
Calories 420; Protein 24g; Carbohydrate 63g; Fat 8g; Fibre 5g.
Place half of the ingredients into each of 2 serving bowls.
Add the dressing, stir and garnish. Mmmmm.