Saturday, March 12, 2011

3 Bean Salad

I have been reading about the Carb Lovers Diet this weekend.  It's all about Resistant Starch and how foods that contain it are used to fill us up and keep us satisfied for longer periods of time.  The recipes look really good and use common ingredients so I have decided to try some of them.

The first one I am making is a dinner ... a 3 Bean Salad, along with a lean beef burger on a whole wheat roll.  I have most of the ingredients on hand, and wanted an easy meal that we can eat in front of the tv tonight.

The original salad recipe uses green bell peppers, but I only have yellow and red.  It also calls for white beans and so I used white kidney beans.


3 Bean Salad
For 2 servings:
  • 1/2 cup green beans
  • 1/2 cup red kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup white kidney beans
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup yellow pepper, diced
I had fresh beans on hand, so I blanched some, then cut them into 1" lengths.
Then I mixed all the ingredients together.

Per 1 cup serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3. 
Calories 135; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 24g; Fat 1g; Fibre 8g

The book suggests that you dress the salad with 2 Tbsp of a low-fat Italian vinaigrette.  The bottle I had was almost empty so I added a tsp of canola/olive oil blend to it and shook it before I drizzled it over the salad ingredients.  I haven't had all my healthy oils yet today so this will help.

Normally I would eat a veggie burger instead of a beef burger.  Tonight I decided to follow the meal instructions and go with the beef.  I used frozen PC Blue Menu lean beef burgers. 

Weight Watchers P+ = 6.  Not bad for a tasty and filling hunk of meat!
Calories 210; Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 1g; Fat 14g; Fibre 0g

I divided the salad between two plates, cooked the burgers and served them with the recommended Romaine and tomatoes (and a cheese slice for him).   A lovely looking, casual dinner... crunchy and delicious.  Definitely a keeper!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.