Friday, March 25, 2011

Satisfying Soba

I love buckwheat soba noodles.  They cook up very quickly - 6 or 7 minutes - and can be eaten hot or cold, in soups or salads, and are filling and tasty.  No brand loyalty for me here;  I buy whatever I find as they all seem similar in nutrients and calories.
This recipe came from Harvey Pasternak's 5 Factor Diet.  I made it pretty much as written with a couple of minor changes (which I indicate in parenthesis like this).  It is really good and we have had it several times. 

In Japan, soba noodles are served hot and cold, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you can't find them; substitute whole-wheat spaghettini or vermicelli.


Soba Noodle Bowl with Cucumber and Cabbage
Makes 2 servings

  • 1 Tbs reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sesame or vegetable oil
  • 4 oz soba or udon noodles (3.10 ounces)
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, skinned and meat diced or shredded (6 oz. cooked)
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions)
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded,  or 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup coleslaw mix (cabbage, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower mix)
  • (A few Enoki mushrooms, cause I have some on hand)

  1. In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, and oil until well blended.
  2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, chicken meat, scallions, cucumber, and coleslaw mix (and mushrooms). Toss with soy dressing.
Weight Watchers P+ = 9.  (As I made it) Including the noodles, and very filling.
Calories 347; Protein 28g; Carbohydrate 39g; Fat 8g; Fibre 4g



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.