I couldn't find a recipe I liked so started searching for rice pudding recipes and found one I could adapt, on allrecipes. com.
This is what I came up with:
Barley Breakfast Pudding
- 1-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 2 cups fat free milk, divided
- 2 Tbs sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- cinnamon to serve
- Mix the barley and 1-1/2 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and salt.
- Simmer on stovetop for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and 1/2 cup of milk together.
- At the 20 minute mark, drizzle the egg/milk mixture into the cooked barley, whisking as it pours.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Divide mixture into 2 bowls, sprinkle with cinnamon and a few raisins.
Calories 315; Protein 15g; Carbohydrate 59g; Fat 3g; Fibre 5g
This would make a lovely dessert for 4 - You might want to add a bit more sugar if for a dessert course.