Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Shrove Tuesday

We couldn't decide whether to have eggs with our dinner pancakes today, or strawberries and whipped cream... so we decided to have them both!

Breakfast cakes would be accompanied by eggs and fruit, and dinner cakes would have cream and fresh strawberries, so the hunt was on for a good, low fat recipe.

The Captain, aks The Noodle Expert, aka  The Pancake King, is otherwise engaged today, so it is up to me to make pancakes for both meals.

I found a basic, whole wheat recipe on skinnytaste.com - I have made some of Gina's recipes in the past so trusted that this one would be good, too.

Gina's recipe makes 4 servings and I only wanted 2 so I halved it, and I also left out the the sugar/honey she calls for, and used 1 packet of Splenda in its place.  I used fat free milk, too, rather than the 1% Gina uses.  The mixture is fairly wet, but after I let it sit for a couple of minutes, the baking powder worked its magic and it did thicken a bit.

We were both really happy with the results!


Whole Wheat Pancakes for 2
Makes 4 pancakes, 2 cakes per serving
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 3 Tbs egg whites
  • 1 packet Splenda
  • dash of cinnamon 
  1. Mix the dry ingedients together in a bowl or large measuring cup. 
  2. Mix the wet ingredients together, and then add to dry ingredients.
  3. Stir until combined and let sit for a couple of minutes till it thickens a bit.
  4. Coat non-stick pan with oil/spray, and heat.
  5. Put 1/4 cup of batter into pan, let cook a couple of minutes till it bubbles, then flip and cook the other side.

Each serving is 2 pancakes.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 165; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 25g; Fat 3g; Fibre 2g

For breakfast, I served them with syrup (sugar-free for me), an egg topped with real bacon bits, and half a navel orange.


At dinnertime I doubled the recipe, and served the cakes with fresh strawberries, topped with light Cool Whip and syrup....



 OMG!  Delicious.  Good thing Fat Tuesday only happens once a year.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking for a whole-wheat pancake. I tried one before but it was gooey in the middle. I just gave up and made crêpes instead.

    DBF shall have pancakes for breakfast tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do let me know if he liked them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.