I came across this recipe on Fitness Health and Food and just knew I would have to try it. I doubled these ingredients so we could both enjoy it. I did make a couple of changes so here is my version.
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup original Almond Breeze
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- 2-3 drop vanilla extract
- 1 packet of Splenda (optional)
- Place the oats, milk, and water in a saucepan and heat over medium until simmering. Turn down heat to low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the carrot.
- After the oats have simmered for 3 minutes, add the shredded carrot, raisins, and cinnamon to the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Cook to desired consistency, then turn off heat and add the vanilla extract and Splenda. Stir to blend.
- Transfer to a bowl, and top with your favorites... yogurt, nut butter, or honey.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 248; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 48g; Fat 4g; Fibre 7g.
You can leave out the Splenda if you don't use sweeteners
You can use any kind of milk, and if you prefer, use 1 cup of milk and leave out the water
Assembling the ingredients.
The milk and oats are starting to steam.
Save a bit of grated carrot for garnish.
The carrot adds a bit of color to the milk as it cooks.
Garnished and ready.
With a bit of yogurt alongside.